01. Canopius is the global specialty (re)insurance platform of Sompo Japan Nipponkoa Holdings Inc., which has> $90bn total assets.
02.Canopius is 100% owned by the principal subsidiary of the above, and A+ rated company and one of the top three Japanese P&C insurers.
03. Canopius formed via MBO in December 2003, with £25m equity capital.
04. Significant growth achieved over the last ten years to one of the ten Lloyd's insurers writing premiums in excess of £1bn.
05. Canopius Group total capital resources in excess of £600m.
07. Group financial highlights 2013 (2012): gross written premiums £866m (£692m); post-tax profit to shareholders £99m (£49m); investment return 1.4% (3.8%); return on equity 25% (17%).
08. c.600 staff employed as at 31st March 2014.
09. Canopius Managing Agents Limited is the 9th largest managing agent at Lloyd's.
10. Three managed syndicates for 2014: 4444, 958, and 260.
11. Syndicates 4444 and 958 underwrite a diversified portfolio of insurance and reinsurance business across over 100 countries worldwide. The large majority of business is written on a joint stamp basis.
12. Syndicate 260 underwrites a portfolio of specialist UK motor business.
13. The capacities of our managed syndicates for 2014 are £700m (4444); £175m (958); and £70m (260).
14. For 2014, Canopius Group controls 100% of capacity on Syndicate 4444; 61% on Syndicate 958; and 92% on Syndicate 260.
15. Projected gross premiums written for 2014 (on a GAAP basis) are £806m (4444), £211m (958), and £67m (260).
16. Syndicates 4444, 958, and 260 offer strong Lloyd's A+ /A security.
17. Canopius's name is derived from Nathaniel Canopius, a Cretan scholar studying at Oxford who is reputed to have
brewed the first cup of coffee in England in 1637.