With Christmas just around the corner, the festive period is in full swing and we don’t want anything to dampen your cheer which is why we have come up with a few top tips to keep in mind:
- Mulled wine – Keep your glass of red wine on a stable surface away from children (or just keep hold of it!) to prevent it from getting knocked over and staining your carpet or furniture;
- Gifts – Don’t let a thief add your new presents to their shopping list. Keep valuable presents out of sight from windows, don’t leave any credit cards or cash lying around and remember to lock up when visiting friends and family;
- Lights – Fairy lights add a bit of magic to your Christmas tree, but if you’re not home or you are going to sleep, turn them off. It is also worth checking them for any faults;
- Candles – Lighting candles is a great way to create a warm and cosy home, but make sure you keep them on a flat surface away from anything that could catch alight and blow them out before going to sleep;
- Decorations – You may be up and down to the loft carrying boxes over the festive period; make sure you tread carefully and use a torch;
- Social media – Be careful posting about your new gifts or your time away from home on social media. Check your privacy settings to ensure only your friends and family can see your posts;
- Holidays – If you are going to be away from home, make sure your house alarm is activated and leave lights on to deter burglars;
- Insurance – Check what cover you have in place before the festive period. Do you have accidental damage cover? Do you need to increase your contents cover for all your new gifts including any new gadget insurance?
And finally – don’t forget to put out any open fires on Christmas Eve. With Santa coming down your chimney the last thing he wants is a night in A&E.