The evenings are drawing in and soon people across the country will be pulling their coats out of the cupboard to prepare for the cold. But is your home prepared for the winter season? There are a few precautions you can take to get ready for the colder weather:
• Be sure to get your boiler checked to catch any problems early
• Check your roof and repair or replace any broken tiles
• Keep the house warm and the heating on when you can to avoid frozen pipes
• Clear drains and gutters to avoid any blockages
• Visit the environment agency website to check if your home is at risk of flooding
• Locate your stopcock in case you need to turn off the water in your home quickly
• Install insulation to prevent heat escaping through the roof
• Repair any dripping taps
• Seal any gaps around the edges of doors and windows to prevent draughts
Taking these simple steps could prevent you from the stress and time of having to make a claim. It is worthwhile saving your broker/insurer’s contact details on your phone in case of an emergency.
Wrap up well and stay safe and warm this winter.
Posted October 19th 2018.