Passport – check. Flip flops – check. Sun tan lotion – check. Home security – ??
Don’t forget to review home security before jetting off this summer.
When you’re already in holiday mode, it’s easy to rush out the door to catch your plane but you won’t want to leave your property vulnerable when you are away. Here are some tops tips to help keep your home safe and deter burglars:
- Be careful who you tell about your holiday plans – don’t advertise your vacant property on social media and wait until you’re home to post your holiday photos
- Set your indoor lights to come on at different times to give the impression that someone is home;
- Cancel milk or newspaper deliveries so they are not left on your doorstep;
- Lock all windows, doors, sheds and garages – this includes any upper level windows and back gates which should be padlocked;
- Keep valuables safe – don’t leave them on display, lock them away where possible;
- Use motion censored outdoor lighting to keep your house well lit if anyone approaches;
- Use gravel to prevent intruders from approaching your property quietly;
- Use anti-climb paint to stop burglars from getting a grip while climbing into your property;
- Mow the lawn and cut back any plants – it could be worthwhile planting thorny bushes too which are difficult to climb over or push through;
- Ask a friend to park on your drive, collect post from the mat and open and close the curtains;
Don’t make it easy for intruders. These steps will help in making it more time-consuming, difficult, and noisy to break into your home so you can relax on your holiday knowing that you have taken extra precautions.
Before you head off, check the details of your building and contents insurance for any specific information relating to security. If you have any questions, please speak to your broker.
Have a great trip!
Posted on 27th June 2018.