We underwrite a range of products related to Heavy Industry, Construction and Engineering.
We offer heavy industry protection across the globe with a focus on mining and chemical sub industries. Our extensive experience and expertise in this area places us at the forefront of the market.
We add value for our clients by providing coverage and expertise in niche areas. We also have access to the added expertise of a fully qualified engineer who can review underwriting information, provide site surveys and offer guidance to clients where required.
We pride ourselves on our flexible approach, which enables us to develop tailored solutions for clients. In the long-term, we strive to develop partnerships with all of our clients.
Across mining we cover all commodities including: coal, copper, zinc and diamonds. This encompasses both above and below ground risks and associated processing and refining techniques. We are also able to write coverage for the mining of steel and aluminium.
All forms of chemical risk are covered, including both organic and inorganic, from batch mixing through to reaction under pressure or heat. For both mining and chemical, we underwrite all risks of physical loss or damage, including machinery breakdown and business interruption coverage.
We also have additional capacity for mining cover from Travelers Syndicate 5000 at Lloyd’s, which means that full capacity for our mining portfolio has been extended to US$30m. This additional capacity gives us more capability to lead business and will better allow us to service our clients and brokers. The capacity is underwritten by Spencer Pearce on behalf of Travelers Syndicate, as a consortium through Lloyd’s.
We underwrite direct engineering and construction risks from our offices in London and Singapore. We work closely with intermediaries to provide products appropriate to their distribution channels and complex client requirements. We employ a specialist team that enables us to take a leading role in the market, providing the necessary critical experience and expertise.
In London our team focuses on project specific risks on a worldwide basis and in all segments of onshore activities including:
- Infrastructure (roads, utilities etc)
- Power generation
- Petrochemical construction
The London portfolio comprises:
- All risks and erection risks (including public liability, advance loss of profits, contractors plant and existing property)
- Machinery breakdown
- Business interruption
We also underwrite engineering reinsurance on both a proportional and excess of loss treaty basis.
The Construction Consortium at Lloyd’s (CCAL)
- Canopius is a founding member of the Construction Consortium at Lloyd’s (CCAL)
- Capacity is US$212.5 million on a PML basis in order to offer lead terms on major projects. This is by far the largest Lloyd’s capacity available for this class of business. The consortium has been carefully designed to ensure that the specialist expertise of the individual consortium partners can be swiftly backed by substantial capacity
- CCAL also operates in Singapore