Canopius is a global specialty lines (re)insurer.
We believe that our people make us different. We challenge the prevailing wisdom, we ask the difficult questions and we are proud to offer an independent view of risk.
We were formed via a management buyout in December 2003, with £25m equity capital and achieved significant growth through a mix of organic expansion and acquisition. We are privately owned, backed by private equity funding.
Canopius Group Limited is domiciled in Jersey and operates in Australia, Bermuda, Singapore, the UK, the US, Malaysia (Labuan) and China (through Lloyd’s China). The group operates through the following underwriting platforms:
- Canopius Managing Agents Limited, which manages our Lloyd’s Syndicate 4444
- Canopius US Insurance, Inc., a US excess & surplus lines insurance company
- Canopius Reinsurance Limited, a Bermudan class 4 Reinsurance company
We hold a number of underwriting platforms and operating companies:
- Canopius Managing Agents Limited
- Canopius Underwriting Limited
- Canopius US Insurance, Inc.
- Canopius Reinsurance Limited
- Canopius Asia Pte Limited
- Canopius Underwriting Agency, Inc
- Canopius Underwriting Bermuda Ltd
- Canopius Insurance Services
- Multi-Strat Re Ltd. and MultiStrat Advisors Ltd. (Canopius affiliates)
Our name reflects our heritage:
- In the 17th and 18th centuries, English coffeehouses were public and social places where people would meet for conversation and commerce, and where like-minded scholars congregated and debated with each other.
- The namesake of our company, Nathaniel Canopius is reputed to have brewed the first cup of coffee in England in 1637.
- Edward Lloyd’s coffeehouse by the river Thames became the centre of marine intelligence. By the 18th century, it is where merchants and financiers met and agreed financial protections for their vessels and cargo; the location thus became the heart of London’s maritime finance industry and where modern insurance was born.
Canopius has an organisational model comprising three distinct regional business units and four product groups, along with a Leadership Team.
Each of the regional units has established an Executive Committee. The resulting line-ups give Canopius its strongest ever management team, ready to build a resilient and sustainable organisation and deliver meaningful, profitable growth. From underwriting and claims to digital and people management, the business has invested heavily in attracting forward-thinking industry talent. A new generation of highly experienced leaders is now embedded, united by a clear growth strategy and committed to creating an entrepreneurial culture that attracts and supports top talent.
Our Leadership Team is responsible for the day-to-day running of the group.
The Board is responsible for promoting the long-term sustainability of the Group in a manner that seeks to generate value for shareholders while taking account of the interests of its stakeholders, the impact on the environment, and its contribution to the wider society.
OUR REGIONAL OPERATIONS
Canopius has been operating in the Asia Pacific region (APAC) for more than 10 years, writing risks from Singapore, Shanghai and Sydney. Our focus is a combination of Treaty Reinsurance, wholesale Direct and Facultative Property, and Casualty as well as SME business via coverholders and brokers. Canopius opened an office in Sydney in 2019 to complement our growing APAC operations.
Our specialist underwriters offer our brokers and clients a technical approach to pricing and breadth of knowledge. Through application of our underwriting expertise and technical, proactive approach, we have the capability and flexibility to respond swiftly to market developments and structure products to match our clients’ needs.
Canopius USA is a specialty insurer with experienced teams serving clients throughout the United States. We are a company with a flexible and entrepreneurial spirit, backed by the strength and stability of multiple world-class insurance platforms, and the experience of a global specialty lines market leader.
Canopius USA can write business on multiple platforms and paper, for all insurance market intermediaries:
- Team & Resources – Canopius USA has teams throughout the United States with deep expertise in underwriting, risk mitigation, and claims management.
- Quality & Security – The ability to write business on multiple platforms and paper gives our partners the freedom to think expansively and to execute solutions that best address the unique risks of each client.
- Stability & Reach – As part of Canopius Group, Canopius USA is backed by global market expertise and support from the heart of the insurance world in London, and key insurance hubs across the US, including New York and Chicago.
The UK is our largest and most mature region, underwriting through our Lloyd’s Syndicate 4444 since 2010. The UK region specialises in a range of insurance and reinsurance product classes, closely connected to the Lloyd’s London market.