Canopius is a global specialty lines (re)insurer. We wrote over $1.2 billion premium across the group in 2017.
We believe that our people make us different. We challenge the prevailing wisdom, we ask the difficult questions and we are proud to offer an independent view of risk.
We were formed via a management buyout in December 2003, with £25m equity capital and achieved significant growth through a mix of organic expansion and acquisition. We are privately owned, backed by private equity funding.
Canopius AG is domiciled in Zurich and operates in the UK, Ireland, Netherlands, Switzerland, Bermuda, US and Singapore. The group operates through the following underwriting platforms:
- Canopius Managing Agents Limited, which manages our sole Lloyd’s Syndicate 4444 (For 2018, Canopius owns 88% of capacity on Syndicate 4444, whose Active Underwriter is CMA Chief Underwriting Officer Sarah Willmont)
- Canopius US Insurance, Inc., a US excess & surplus lines insurance company
Our name reflects our heritage:
- Nathaniel Canopius was a Cretan scholar studying at Balliol College, Oxford, who is reputed to have brewed the first cup of coffee in England in 1637
- Then in the 17th century, Edward Lloyd’s coffee house became recognised as the place for obtaining marine insurance in London
- Our name thus provides a strong association with the Lloyd’s market, which remains at the core of our operations
- Canopius owns 88% of capacity on Syndicate 4444 with the balance provided by third party capital providers
- Canopius US Insurance, Inc. has an A.M. Best Insurer Financial Strength rating of A- (Excellent)
We hold a number of underwriting platforms and operating companies:
- Canopius Managing Agents Limited
- Canopius Underwriting Limited
- Canopius US Insurance, Inc
- Canopius Asia Pte Limited
- Canopius B.V.
- Canopius Underwriting Agency, Inc
- Canopius Underwriting Bermuda Ltd
- Canopius Insurance Services
- Canopius Reinsurance AG