Canopius is a global specialty lines (re)insurer.
We believe that our people make us different. We challenge the prevailing wisdom, we ask the difficult questions and we are proud to offer an independent view of risk.
We were formed via a management buyout in December 2003, with £25m equity capital and achieved significant growth through a mix of organic expansion and acquisition. We are privately owned, backed by private equity funding.
Canopius Group Limited is domiciled in Jersey and operates in Australia, Bermuda, Singapore, the UK & US. The group operates through the following underwriting platforms:
- Canopius Managing Agents Limited, which manages our Lloyd’s Syndicate 4444
- Canopius US Insurance, Inc., a US excess & surplus lines insurance company
- Canopius Reinsurance Limited, a Bermudan class 4 Reinsurance company
We hold a number of underwriting platforms and operating companies:
- Canopius Managing Agents Limited
- Canopius Underwriting Limited
- Canopius US Insurance, Inc.
- Canopius Reinsurance Limited
- Canopius Asia Pte Limited
- Canopius Underwriting Agency, Inc
- Canopius Underwriting Bermuda Ltd
- Canopius Insurance Services
- Multi-Strat Re Ltd. and MultiStrat Advisors Ltd. (Canopius affiliates)
Our name reflects our heritage:
- Nathaniel Canopius was a Cretan scholar studying at Balliol College, Oxford, who is reputed to have brewed the first cup of coffee in England in 1637
- Then in the 17th century, Edward Lloyd’s coffee house became recognised as the place for obtaining marine insurance in London
- Our name thus provides a strong association with the Lloyd’s market, which remains at the core of our operations
Canopius Group profile