Canopius is a global specialty lines (re)insurer.
We believe that our people make us different. We challenge the prevailing wisdom, we ask the difficult questions and we are proud to offer an independent view of risk.
We were formed via a management buyout in December 2003, with £25m equity capital and achieved significant growth through a mix of organic expansion and acquisition. We are privately owned, backed by private equity funding.
Canopius Group Limited is domiciled in Jersey and operates in Australia, Bermuda, Singapore, the UK, the US, Malaysia (Labuan) and China (through Lloyd’s China). The group operates through the following underwriting platforms:
- Canopius Managing Agents Limited, which manages our Lloyd’s Syndicate 4444
- Canopius US Insurance, Inc., a US excess & surplus lines insurance company
- Canopius Reinsurance Limited, a Bermudan class 4 Reinsurance company
We hold a number of underwriting platforms and operating companies:
- Canopius Managing Agents Limited
- Canopius Underwriting Limited
- Canopius US Insurance, Inc.
- Canopius Reinsurance Limited
- Canopius Asia Pte Limited
- Canopius Underwriting Agency, Inc
- Canopius Underwriting Bermuda Ltd
- Canopius Insurance Services
- Multi-Strat Re Ltd. and MultiStrat Advisors Ltd. (Canopius affiliates)
Our name reflects our heritage:
- In the 17th and 18th centuries, English coffeehouses were public and social places where people would meet for conversation and commerce, and where like-minded scholars congregated and debated with each other.
- The namesake of our company, Nathaniel Canopius is reputed to have brewed the first cup of coffee in England in 1637.
- Edward Lloyd’s coffeehouse by the river Thames became the centre of marine intelligence. By the 18th century, it is where merchants and financiers met and agreed financial protections for their vessels and cargo; the location thus became the heart of London’s maritime finance industry and where modern insurance was born.
Canopius has an organisational model comprising three distinct regional business units and four product groups, along with a Leadership Team.
Each of the regional units has established an Executive Committee. The resulting line-ups give Canopius its strongest ever management team, ready to build a resilient and sustainable organisation and deliver meaningful, profitable growth. From underwriting and claims to digital and people management, the business has invested heavily in attracting forward-thinking industry talent. A new generation of highly experienced leaders is now embedded, united by a clear growth strategy and committed to creating an entrepreneurial culture that attracts and supports top talent.
Our Leadership Team is responsible for the day-to-day running of the group.
The Board is responsible for promoting the long-term sustainability of the Group in a manner that seeks to generate value for shareholders while taking account of the interests of its stakeholders, the impact on the environment, and its contribution to the wider society.